Wondering what the first step is to becoming an external CEMAS user?
An external user is defined as someone whom does not have an affiliation with The Ohio State University and does not have an Ohio State name.#. The steps below outline how an external user will proceed in order to use the CEMAS facility.
1. Complete the CEMAS External User Registration Form.
Click here to complete. You will receive a response via email within 2 business days.
2. Furnish a purchase order to which the usage can be charged.
Purchase orders should be made out to "Center for Electron Microscopy and Analysis" and emailed to Ashley Swartz ( ).
The following steps are only if you are completing the sample anaylsis yourself.
3. Request an Ohio State Sponsored Guest Account.
This will enable use of FOM, the scheduling and billing system. Please contact Ashley Swartz to request an account.
4. Review CEMAS policies.
It is important to adhere to CEMAS policies and procedures while accessing the facility.
5. Complete required Ohio State EHS safety training modules.
You must complete the online required Ohio State Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) safety training modules and pass the associated online tests. Training modules can be accessed through the EHS website. All users should be familiar with basic laboratory safety and radiation hazards. The following EHS tranings are required for CEMAS use:
- Lab Standard Training
- Chemical Safety
- Fume Hood Safety
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Cryogenic Materials Training
- Biological Safety Training for BSL2
- Hazard Communication (required of ALL OSU employees)
- Globally Harmonized System (GHS) (required of ALL OSU employees)
- Building Emergency Action Plan (BEAP)
6. Create an account on the Facility Online Manager (FOM).
FOM is the scheduling and billing system used by CEMAS. Please visit fom.osu.edu to set-up your account, input funding information, and request instrument training. For more information, please click here.
7. Receive instrument training.
CEMAS staff can advise and help a user in all aspects of specimen preparation, instrument use, and data interpretation. Since most users will not be familiar with the operation of the instruments, CEMAS staff will train users on a one-to-one basis or in small groups. The objective of the training is for the user to be able to independently operate the CEMAS equipment required for their research. You may request instrument training via your FOM account.