World-class education in the theory of electron microscopy and all aspects of its use and operation is at the heart of our mission.
It is our goal to make CEMAS a user-friendly facility where you can complete your research in a productive way. A support team of technical, research, administrative and academic staff based at CEMAS provides comprehensive support to all users through a variety of mechanisms from contract research to collaborative projects.
Creating a pathway to independent operation of CEMAS equipment, there are a few methods for training:
For Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM), CEMAS has partnered with the Department of Materials Science and Engineering to provide courses designed to educate the fundamentals of SEM and TEM techniques.
Completion of the courses with a passing grade will allow users access to reserve respective CEMAS equipment after demonstrating practical understanding of operation and techniques.
Cost: Training costs are included in tuition and are at no cost to the Advisor/Principal Investigator. For more information about these courses, please click here.
Users may be trained by a member of our technical staff to independently operate the equipment. Once training has been completed, the user is granted access to reserve the equipment and self operate the microscope to complete their research as the schedules allow.
Cost: Training costs for direct training are the responsibility of the Advisor/Principal Investigator. Find our rates here.
On The Scope – A Masterclass in Practical Scanning Electron Microscopy is a training program covering the fundamentals of scanning electron microscopy (SEM) operation. The program consists of two components:
- Component #1: A series of lectures/demonstration sessions delivered 100% live, online or in-person over three days.
- Component #2: A two day, “hands-on” training workshop on the electron microscopes. These training events are delivered in a safe, socially distant manner to small groups. The workshops are delivered in person using the established educational facilities and equipment at CEMAS.
Upon completion of the program, participants will be able to:
- Understand the operating principles and applications of SEMs.
- Perform a variety of common SEM imaging and analysis tasks.
- Improve the quality of their own SEM data collection and analysis.
Participants who complete the program also receive a certificate of completion from CEMAS and the College of Engineering.